There is nothing more important to us that the safety of our students.
We take this responsibility extremely seriously. We understand that referrals and investigations can be difficult for parents, staff and carers but I am sure you will agree with us that to ensure we do keep our students we MUST investigate and where we feel a need, refer any concerns.
We have invested heavily in our staff to ensure:
- They have the training they need to ensure all staff know what to do if they have any reason for concern.
- All staff are fully aware of their obligations set out in Keeping Children Safe in Education and have indicated the fully understand these.
- We have a team of qualified Designated Safeguarding Leads to ensure we can cover all times of the day, evening and night.
- Designated Safeguarding Leads have time to meet allowing them to standardise and moderate approaches to Child Protection and Safeguarding.
- All policies linked to Child Protection and Safeguarding are reviewed in line with recommendations.
In addition to this:
- To ensure the safety of all our students we have invested heavily in systems that keep the site secure (locked gates, restricted access and strategically placed cameras to identify who is at the gate) and manage all visitors to the site.
- All visitors, with the exception of inspectors and school improvement partners are escorted around the school.
- We have trained 7 staff Designated Safeguarding leads, this ensures 24 hour coverage.
- DSL Team is Led by a Senior DSL.
- In addition to this team the Headteacher and Chair of Governors have completed KCC DSL training.
- We have 3 staff members and 3 governors fully trained in safer recruitment processes and ensure at least one trained person sits on every interview panel.
- We never employ anyone without carrying our a full DBS check, in addition to this all prospective employees must have submitted a full work history in their application and supplied two suitable references, one of which must be from their current (or last) employer.
- Our safeguarding team meets once a month ensuring we have a platform to share learning, best practice and standardise and moderate our systems and processes.
- Refresher training for all Designated Safeguarding Leads Takes Place on a bi annual basis.
- Whole staff training on Safeguarding makes up part of our compulsory programme of professional development.
- We have a team of 6 qualified Positive Behaviour Management instructors, 1 of whom is a principal instructor.
- All classroom and residential staff have been fully trained in Positive Behaviour Support and appropriate safe physical interventions, refresher training for all staff happens on an annual basis.
- All interventions are fully documented and reviewed, changes in practice and approach are based on this evidence base.
- Our PREVENT work permeates all aspects of our curriculum offer, across both the school and residential flats.
- Promoting the core values of: democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty and mutual respect for and tolerance of those who are different, plays a major part in what we do. These values are British values though we accept they are not unique to Britain. We see them as universal values, shared by, and fundamental too, many different countries, cultures and cherished by people across the globe.
Additional Information for parents.
How Safe are our Children. NSPCC report 2017
Need to know More? Get in touch.
Stone Bay School
70 Stone Road, Broadstairs, Kent. CT10 1EB
01843 863 421
01843 866 652
Senior DSL: Martyn Nash
01843 863 421.
Family Liaison Officer: Marie Regan
Safeguarding Governor: Jimmy Peters
Headteacher: Paula Miller
01843 863 421.
The school has a team of 7 fully trained Designated Safeguarding Leads. In addition to this, the Headteacher and the Governor with responsibility for Safeguarding have also completed the training.